Now Receiving Pen Friend Applications for the
Jane Austen Letter Writing Society
How To Secure A Pen Friend:
It is time to sign up for the next Jane Austen a Letter Writing Society Pen Friend exchange beginning November 1- December 31 2015. The process is simple. Click on the tab at the top of this page that says"Pen Friend Application". Cut and paste the form into the body of an email and answer the questions. Then mail the completed form to me, Lady Pamela, at JALWSociety@gmail.com . November 1st I will send you your Pen Friend match. At that point you need to make email contact with your partner and then send a Jane Austen styled letter to your partner within 5 days of receiving your Pen Friend match. This round will last a full two months, so you should be able to get at least two letters to your partner (if international) and more for domestic match ups. Sign up deadline for the Nov./Dec. exchange is October 30th.
Try some of these basic letter writing ideas for your Jane Austen letter:
- Write your letter on paper that looks period, perhaps some parchment if you have any.
- Try using a dipping pen, if you are adventurous, give a try at using a quill pen.
- Perhaps spend some of your letter discussing how you became interested in the Jane Austen novels, and discuss your favorite novel and why it is your favorite.
- Did you know that you can use the Jane Austen Thesaurus to make sure that the words you use are words that Jane herself used. I have a button on the right column of this site that will take you to the Jane Austen Thesaurus. (Personally, I have used the thesaurus for small projects, but haven't used it yet for letter writing.) Ha, this could be a challenge all in its own!
- Relax and have fun, these ideas are NOT mandatory, they are just suggestions for those who are new to letter writing and the Society.
Janeite Letter Writing Challenge: (Optional)
Jane Austen Challenge for November/December was suggested by a participant from the last round. I am sorry that I have lost the email that revealed who brought this challenge to my attention. (Please email me to let me know so that I can give you the proper credit for this challenge.)
The Challenge is to be a "ghost writer" of sorts. You select a character (major or minor) from any of Jane Austen's novels and assume that character as you write the letter. You may add to that character, giving more depth to the character by way of carrying his or her story into more detail.
If you are wanting to do this "ghost writing", please let your partner know when you email them. I think that would be a proper thing to do. You could also make the character writing just a part of your letter, or the whole letter. That would be up to you. Sounds wonderfully creative, and interesting.
Thank you , dear readers, for your input and suggestions. As always, I am here to help you navigate this Society. If you run into any problems, please let me know as quickly as possible.